03 May 2009

behold, a story untold

sorcery of self:
a phrase i coined
and now surrender to you

it's as if i've swallowed
an interior decorator

i like my heart where it is

i cannot make
your past disappear

only rabbits, my love,
only rabbits

depleted memory banks
have grounded our emotional economy

we have been forced
to create a new currency


one that will truly allow us
to love our neighbors
for reasons beyond guilt and pity

i have offered myself
to the inkwell of the wordsmith
that i might be shaped
into new terms of being

only through new words
might new worlds
be called
into order

i stretch my body
into your symbols of statehood

i am
a citizen
casting my vote
and net
in the same breath

i dare not keep what i reap
i am only fishing
for momentary companionship

-excerpt from , SAid tHE SHOTgun to The heaD.
A POEM BY SAUL WiLLiAMS